Topic: You Can't Fix Stupid

Hello, Whip Basics.

Most who know me well know that I try not to be overly critical of others, especially when I have so much to learn myself. I'm no expert, certainly, and I don't miss an opportunity to point that out. Well...here are a couple of young adults who are also no experts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVpr9ufcMOI

I couldn't finish the video. Not only have they done absolutely zero research into proper technique, but they're also making a big joke out of being accidentally struck with a potentially dangerous instrument. I wonder how much they'd laugh if one of them were popped in the eye by a rebounding thong.

To make matters worse, this is apparently a duo who are trying to follow in the footsteps of Mythbusters, by "testing" whether certain things are true. The method is nothing close to scientific, and their apparent willingness to simply jump in and start swinging things around makes me nervous to say the least.

The reason I post this here is that there are more people like this out there. People who don't know better, and probably should. If they were such big fans of Indiana Jones, then shouldn't they remember that Indy never flailed like that with his whip? Oh, that's right: Harrison Ford actually trained for that role.

Point is, folks will see that video. They might not assume that this is proper technique, but it certainly isn't helping. At best, it's teaching people to take whips lightly. At worst, it's spreading misinformation which can get somebody hurt.

I know it's three years old, and hasn't gotten many views, but it's still frustrating to me that stuff like that is floating around out there.

Re: You Can't Fix Stupid

Oh... This video. Yeah, I've seen that, and it took all I had not to scream at the people how they should take just a week or two to train themselves before going live with their experiment. They're just hurting the whip -- and also themselves -- with that stuff.

Let's face it, I'm not an awesomely good whipcracker myself either. But the first things I teach people when I let them try a whip is that "you don't strike with it, you don't swing it, you throw it".

- Pokkis

I honestly think I lost brain cells watching that. Hey, I flailed around like that too when I first started, but I also studied cracking techniques so I wouldn't continue to butcher myself. tongue

I saw the video. And I posted my comment.

Robby

I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...

I know that I will probably come across like a jerk for this but check this dude out lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wo4EXV … 53wXSnMAsg

I'm sorry but if it was me I would at least do a bit of research and practice before dressing up like Indiana Jones and making a complete fool out of myself on YouTube.

You bring shame to my name my friend!

In vino veritas

HOLY CRAP!
I am probably an evil person, but I kept rooting for the whip to take revenge on such abuse.

That was hilarious. I am so glad I was not taking a drink of coffee at the same time.
It would not have ended well.
Thanks for the out loud grins.

Ron

Yesterday I spotted an albino dalmatian.
It was the least I could do for him.

I know right.... I don't want to seem mean either but that was AWFUL lol

Youre welcome big_smile

In vino veritas

Watching that hurt me, Rus tongue

'Sic Parvis Magna'

I'm thinking of copying my Whip Basics DVD's and sending them to him as a gifty out of pity!

In vino veritas

Filming yourself cracking whips is fine. But, learn to crack them first....lol.

Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates.
          -Mark Twain

That was funny! Oh, yeah let's swing the whip around and round and around and... floooof! (that's the sound of NO crack! big_smile )

Think for yourself, act for everyone.

Oh, he did more videos. I couldn't refuse to comment...  https://youtu.be/_4o_O5F-q7g
Sometimes I ask myself what those folks think about themselves. I was not able to find that answer.

Robby

I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...

Robby, he's going to think you're serious. smile

It looks like he's already broken the firmness of the transition if there ever was one.
And dipping the end in water is always a good thing to do with a leather whip.

Ron

Ouch watching those videos hurts yikes

He can't even spin his whip in a straight plane hmm

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Watching this guy is entertaining and funny, but I do have to remind myself that we all started somewhere.

It's his presentation and self assumed knowledge that's putting me off rather than his lack of skill.

He is where I might be if not for Whip Basics.

Ron

It's a 20$ el cheapo whip from Amazon.  There is no transition.  They are literally a cotton rope stuck to a wood dowel with 4-plait over the top.  hmm  I'm kind of suprised it made it through the video.  My favorite quotes were:

"This is a REAL bullwhip."
"What do you think of THAT, guys?"
"Imma gonna see if I can get a louder crack" 

The whole time I was waiting for his wet fall to fly off.

Due to rising costs, dirty deeds are no longer done dirt cheap. 
                                                                                    ~Management

Jessie and Robby, your comments probably went right over his head. I appreciated them however.

Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates.
          -Mark Twain

Youtube interests me.  I was raised to really think about what you are doing before putting it out there.  I spend a lot of time observing the different personalities, but what amazes me is the complete lack of pride some of these people have.
I follow a girl who does makeup tutorials, but her hygiene is absolutely atrocious.  She burps and farts and there is usually a cockroach strolling on the wall behind her at some point. Its fascinating.  I see this all the time, these cringy people doing unedited cringy things.  Do they not know better?  How could they not?  If they don't, you would think the comments would shame them into being better, trying harder...but nope.  It blows my mind.  Does no one look at themselves before submitting?  They don't listen to themselves as someone else? 

This guy, is a big kid playing with his whip.  I can see a little boy wetting his fall to get a louder crack (???!!!), wrapping things and being cool.  It would have been cute if he was 10.  He was not 10.  He was old enough to know better, to research, and practice, and at least present himself as a humble person just learning what he had practiced that day.  Then he would invite constructive criticism and advice.  Assholes are gonna show up regardless, but if all they have is something stupid like, "you're fat," or "you suck and you're stupid" you at least know that they are just assholes being assholes. 

That being said, I watched a few whip cracking clips from the man himself, Indiana Jones.  Call me crazy, but I think all of us here, do it better than Harrison Ford.  Indy is cool and all, but he lost a lot of cool for me when I learned how to crack whips too.  I found myself watching and thinking, 'a little too much force, bring your arm up straighter, stop trying to force it, step into the crack not away from it,' and there was even a moment of, "Eh? What happened there?"

If you are going to hoist your underwear up a flag pole, make sure they don't have shart stains.  - Jess the Wednesday Sensei

Due to rising costs, dirty deeds are no longer done dirt cheap. 
                                                                                    ~Management

Oh dear!  I just don't know about some people.  3 "different" cracks all looked the same to me.  "Make sure you get a good swing !"

Here's wishing you find time for the things you want to do, and for the things you need to do.
We see ourselves in our children and hope for a better future.

Jess, I totally agree. I have a lot of issues with finding a suitable location in which to film anything. At any given time, my house is a disaster. There are five humans and 3 dogs occupying this space, so it gets cramped. But, it goes beyond that. When you film yourself, you are creating this little piece of time that will forever be visible on the internet. People like this lack the sense to realize that. Now, I don't always do My hair nice or that kind of thing when I record, but I keep those videos set to private. Only myself or those I share the link with can watch them. I reserve that for people I know, because they aren't going to judge appearances, one of the many reasons why I love this group. But, if I'm putting something up for the public (or performing) I make sure the hair is trimmed, beard is groomed, and clothes are clean and stain free (unless I'm being a pirate; then the rules go right out the window). It's important to maintain a professional appearance if you're doing anything.

-Mark Twain