Topic: pvc target stand

My husband made this as a gift for me.  I'm one lucky girl!

http://www.holyoak-whips.com/uploads/2/2/7/6/22763008/6809023_orig.jpg

http://www.holyoak-whips.com/uploads/2/2/7/6/22763008/1202965_orig.jpg

Re: pvc target stand

That looks about perfect Bobbi. He could box those up and sell them

He died for me, I'll live for him

Roy, did you notice that I used your string trimmer line idea?  It makes it SO much more fun.

I did see that Bobbi, that helps with building muscle memory from repetition instead of stopping to change targets. Only problem I see is no duct tape on it

I wondered when somebody would consider using the mighty PVC pipe for a target stand.

Cheap, durable, effective. That should be PVC's slogan.

Roy Partin wrote:

That looks about perfect Bobbi. He could box those up and sell them

Why not? I was thinking about this for some time, now and Roy is totally right! The shipping costs wouldn't be too high because it's a bunch of PVC pipes, connectors and two clamps.

I mean... Lauren Wickline sells a pipe whip, the customer has to complete by himself. A stabile, durable and weatherproof (!) target stand for a reasonable price could be a good seller on your homepage. By the way - this could become a great seller on all your homepages! If you contact Jim, Bobbi's husband, and tell him a total amount of target stands you'd like to have the price would be more than good, because instead of cutting two pieces he cuts 20 pieces.

As far as I know there is no shop selling target stands. This could become a best seller! People who like to take a target stand with them out, because they have no garden can put it into a canvas bag and put it together in no time. After practicing - just disassemble it and put it back into the bag. It's wet? No problem - it can't rot. It's PVC...

There is a good chance for all of you to create a complete new niche in your business. I mean... What would be more natural than selling target stands in whip shops, hm? Whips, crackers, spare falls...target stands.

How about 65.00 USD for a complete target stand + shipping? I would call that a bargain! What do you think?

Robby

I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...

I totally agree Robby. My other thought on this is that it needs some kind of special Bobbi Holyoak decoration on it like some colorful ring knots.

Every whip maker could give it kind of personal touch, of course.

Robby

Great idea, Robby!

Some months ago (when this discussion started) I bought (very cheap, on eBay) a cymbal stand. (I think it was Dan Trout who suggested this, but I may be wrong.)

http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b565/delaval497/Cymbalstand_zpsaecfaa01.jpg

(eBay photo)

To the top of this, I fitted a spring door-stop. It works a treat! It's fairly heavy; that has both pluses and minuses. But I don't think it would take kindly to being wet for long periods, so a PVC version sounds great. I suspect, however, that it will be far cheaper to make my own than have one shipped across the Atlantic!

'Less is often more!'

Yep, you're right. It was Dan Trout. That stand is cool, no doubt. And if you got it cheap - perfect! I was thinking more about the whip makers in the states. In Europe it would be something for Giovanni Celeste.

Robby

I'll have to get my own target stand set up when I have a bit more money to devote to the cause.

That's a really good idea, I never thought of that.. remind me to smack my forehead  smile   I built one out of PVC but I used pipe that was too thin and it's flimsy, this one looks far better.  $65 sounds good, I'd be curious to hear what other whipmakers think folks would pay for these.  ROby, thanks for drawing my attention to this thread  smile

Yaprimascharif, Yahasanna Hadisany, elafinas tabachu, Dari chalemy elasin!

To be completely honest, the PVC variant would not be terribly difficult to assemble. I once made a clothing rack out of PVC and spent all of an hour on design, measuring/cutting and assembly. I'm sure there will be some folks who can't/won't do it themselves, but I don't know if it's something that would be in high demand because of the ease of construction.

I could be wrong, though. It would just have to be something that you try out.

I have a heavy duty saw that can cut 16" diameter solid stainless bar...so I could probably stack cut about 20 pcs in one shot lol..then a quick debur.

David Cross wrote:

To be completely honest, the PVC variant would not be terribly difficult to assemble. I once made a clothing rack out of PVC and spent all of an hour on design, measuring/cutting and assembly. I'm sure there will be some folks who can't/won't do it themselves, but I don't know if it's something that would be in high demand because of the ease of construction.

I could be wrong, though. It would just have to be something that you try out.

Maybe, maybe not.
I am definitely in the category of people who would not buy it but make it myself - probably with my own twist to it. On the othe hand, I know there are plenty of people out there who do not trust their DIY abilities, do not want to spend their time on that, have "the thumb in the middle of the hand" (as we say in Sweden), or are just plain lazy. Several of these will, very likely, be ready to pay for a ready-to-assemble (IKEA style wink ) target stand - if the price is reasonable.

This is a great idea.

I ordered some PVC pipe, couplings and end plugs a while ago, used them for assembling some handles for pipe whip projects. I had never worked with PVC pipe before, and just the whip handle project made me think of the potential. I started thinking what else can be done with the stuff, it's inexpensive and the pipes, connecting parts and whatnot come in all shapes and sizes. I have also thought of making a portable target stand but never even figured out a good material for it, consequently failing on putting two and two together.

Really cool stuff here. Also the basic idea is scalable, PVC pipe and parts are like Legos after all. Making a collapsible, knockdown and/or modular target stand would be doable and dirt cheap what it comes to materials.

Bobbi, if you don't mind, I would like to borrow this idea for personal use. Not making a 1:1 carbon copy, but more like developing what I see here into a portable form with a personal twist.

- Pokkis

Pokkis, go right ahead and make something cool.  Just make sure to post pictures.

One thing that I forgot to mention about the target stand is that one side on the bottom has a twist on fitting that would allow me to fill the bottom with water if I wanted extra weight.  It is stable enough with out it but I thought that was a cool feature.

Ooohhh... This is exactly what we need during our whip meets over here. I've actually toyed with the idea of using my camera's tripod as a target stand, but I think PVC pipes are better suited for some outdoor fun.

The only issue with the PVC target stand would be that it's very light and will move easily. , maybe if you filled the base and ground pipes with sand or something, that would work.

Marko, I've tried a camera tripod as well. It falls over all the time and there are too many bits and bobs sticking out. The Cracker and fall will get tangled in the adjustment screws etc.

The PVC pipe idea is perfect though. Quick and cheap. Nicely rounded and won't damage your whip.

And in the Gallery we have a picture tutorial, how to make own wooden target stand...

Robby