Re: Roy Partin

You are correct, I use a cheap burner and freehand it. Each species of wood has its own challenge. Super hard wood can cause me to slip and it takes forever to get a good burn. Soft wood can lead to bad blotches and gouges.

He died for me, I'll live for him

I have all the more respect for you Roy, freehanding a woodburner is a trick indeed to get it to look good.

Dude. You do that freehand? I have tried wood burning, and found it even way more difficult than you described.

I always thought that you just macgyver yourself a brand for every design, but that's some impressive stuff you got going on there.

- Pokkis

I appreciate it Devin and Pokkis. I pretty much have to lay my entire upper body on the table to brace my arms and keep from making an error. Slow and steady is the only way

Woodburning is one of those things I tried and (very) quickly realized that I don´t have the aptitude for, so I´m very impressed by what you do!

My failed tries gives me an idea of what it takes to get the lines that even and regular. I suppose you have practiced "a few" hours? wink

Such lovely whips!  I love how the brown turned out for the WB whip, at a distance I imagine it looks very much like leather.  smile

Joe W.

Thanks Lasse, it definitely takes some patience and practice. Going slow and heavily bracing myself causes my arms and hands to fall asleep but that's the only way I can do it correctly. Thanks Joe, the rust color does have somewhat of a leather appearance. It's the preferred color on most of my orders

Roy,

Thank you for the information.  I may have to give that color a try as I love the leather look but the ease of construction that paracord offers.  Yeah, I am still afraid of messing up a hide so I work in paracord alone.

Joe W.

29 (edited by Roy Partin 13.09.2014 16:50:38)

This is a special whip I make each year to be raffled off at the Florida Ranch Rodeo Finals. The proceeds go to the Florida Cattlemen's Association Foundation. This whip has a 10 feet thong of 16 plait rust cord. The handle is Osage Orange featuring an actual alligator tooth inlay. The grip is branded with an alligator hide design.

http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o760/47royboy/DSC_6451_zps1a10fab4.jpghttp://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o760/47royboy/DSC_6446_zps8b437659.jpghttp://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o760/47royboy/A8920E6B-096C-4A13-9284-1F3DA47F7CBE-3846-000008D98BF4E7F4_zps7273869b.jpg

WOW! That's all I can say, Roy! WOW!

'Less is often more!'

Wow, this whip is a great piece of art, I love the idea with the alligator tooth and the branded alligator hide design at the handle.
Fantastic job, Roy, you have my respect. wink

Best wishes,
Mario

Appreciate the kind words Robert and Mario. This was a fun build as I was able to use my imagination

Very nice Roy. That should bring in some money for the association.

Thanks Carl, I'm hoping it will catch the interest of the crowd

It's perfect Roy, no really, the simplicity of the Rust thong with the Osage Orange handle is absolutely beautiful, and a unique piece for the heel makes it all the more special. I am a firm believer in the beauty of simplicity, for that is when the details speak volumes.

I truly appreciate that compliment and I am honored that you see it that way Devin.

Very good looking whip!  I love the tooth!

38 (edited by Einar Stephenson 14.09.2014 02:30:10)

Man that's a cool handle great work!

Thank you mam and Mr Einar.

WOW!!   That is a fantastic looking whip, thank you for sharing.  smile

Joe W.