Topic: Portable and cheap target stand

Lets face it, I'm in NYC… I don't have a yard and I don't have much money. I have never really had a chance to do much target cutting and so the last time I went to the park I was determined to snap some spaghetti.

I had a tripod… and I had a clamp… looks like a target stand to me. Just don't try to do wraps on it or you will pull the thing over every time.

http://static.wixstatic.com/media/9badfa_79ed4b42857346dc91a12f1817ea5356.jpg_srz_355_258_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

Bye the way… I never realized how hard target cutting actually is! Lots of respect to those of you who make it looks easy!

Re: Portable and cheap target stand

Snapping Spaghetti is good fun.
We were doing a challenge where we would see how many times you can clip the spaghetti a little bit at a time, and yes it's quite a challenge. Specially as the whip has to crack for the cut to count.

Target cracking is very fun once you get acquainted with it. A whip designed for targeting nudges you in the right direction as well. A forward/Cattleman's crack are ideal for targetting although you can do so with a forward flick as well.

Nice idea with the tripod and clamp, very stable and portable.

Hey Ben - it looks like a target stand, it feels like a target stand... It is a target stand!  smile  But to build your own is not expensive. A few pieces of wood, perhaps a bit of foam to protect the whip from sharp edges and here you go.

Good luck with your target work!

Robby

I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...

5 (edited by Devin Bauer 15.04.2014 19:45:03)

Actually on the subject I was thinking of making one since it is my primary use of a whip. I was thinking of utilizing PVC tubing, with corks with an appropriate sized hole drilled for spaghetti.

Don't do that. Or you'll end like me. If the hole is made that a single spaghetti fits good enough to hold it when the whip cuts, you'll have biiiig problems to get the rest out of the hole. Like me... Just install clamps or at least a peg on each side - will do the job perfectly.

Robby

7 (edited by Jeff Roseborough 15.04.2014 20:23:13)

Robby Amper wrote:

Don't do that. Or you'll end like me. If the hole is made that a single spaghetti fits good enough to hold it when the whip cuts, you'll have biiiig problems to get the rest out of the hole. Like me... Just install clamps or at least a peg on each side - will do the job perfectly.

Robby

Try a couple of spring loaded Clothespins to hold spaghetti with. Could also hold flowers, playing cards, and your best friends $100 bill!
Secure one half of the clothespin with rubber bands, duct tape, or even zip ties.

Here's wishing you find time for the things you want to do, and for the things you need to do.
We see ourselves in our children and hope for a better future.

Very resourceful, Ben!  smile

Thanks for the insight Robby, I see where that would become problematic. Thanks Jeff, I do believe clothespins may work. How tight does the grip need to be Robby?

Ha. That does sound problematic!

As for the building of one… I'm a carpenter with access to lots of free lumber. Thats not the issue… its the fact that my apartment is 450 sq feet… no room for extra stuff sad

Devin - Jeff's absolutely right. The translator told me that "peg" means "clothespin". Strange language world... Such a clothespin should/will do the job. And they'll hold the target - spaghetti or paperstripes just perfect. You asked how tight these should be. As tight as possible. Well, that would be the best way. If the "grip" is not tight enough, you could pull the target out of the holder (what ever you use). For spaghetti such a clothespin is perfect! If you use larger objects, in my experience it's better to have stronger clamps. Like this one:

http://i429.photobucket.com/albums/qq16/RobertAmper/Target%20stands/e5e745d6.jpg

http://i429.photobucket.com/albums/qq16/RobertAmper/Target%20stands/1034a7c5.jpg

They're from the hardware store and hold really tight.

Robby

Thanks for the advice Robby, and language is an oddity. I have never heard a clothespin reffered to as a peg. alas the woes of language.

You're welcome, Devin. But (I'm afraid to ask...) what in heavens name is a peg, then...?

Robby

After some looking it would appear, that a clothes peg is the UK equivalent of a clothespin in the US. Otherwise a peg could be a tent peg or stake for securing a tent, or a tuning peg on say a violin. There are probably other uses.

Okay, thank you!

Robby

I would love to have a target stand, sooner or later, so i am glad you guys have shared your ideas
I have a couple of ideas in mind, i hope to be able to post my version in the next future

Enoch

Enoch I haven't built a stand either, so in the time being I'm just using my wife. Although, she said that if I strike her I'm in big trouble.

http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o760/47royboy/619FB30A-1734-4FAF-AEA8-92FE24BD1C13-10410-0000172C4CCD3E08_zps9456341b.jpg

He died for me, I'll live for him

That's a beautiful target stand Roy, but don't forget that if you grab the gun with the whip, the only direction you can pull it is towards yourself. smile

Ben, that target stand looks pretty handy and appropriately MacGyvery.

Roy, your target stand seems portable too. Also the wheelgun and the attitude make for some good learning motivation. It's "only" a .22 by the looks of it, but that's more than enough to win an argument smile

- Pokkis

Ben requested portable and cheap. She is highly portable but far from cheap, so that won't work for him LOL

He died for me, I'll live for him