Re: Rhett Kelley

WOW the guy who ordered that must have been mushing dogs. Very cool whip don't think I have seen a cow whip that long before.

So much inspiration in one thread! Some gorgeous pieces here Rhett. My fingers are itching to get building a new whip but I have to wait for funds to buy cord and the Encyclopaedia for my birthday on Thursday!

Think for yourself, act for everyone.

How would you throw a 20ft whip while on a dog sled? The air hitting you would blow the whip into your face right? At least that's the animation that I keep replaying in my head. Still all your whips look great Rhett.

44 (edited by Rhett Kelley 04.02.2014 05:36:34)

I don't really know Jared. I've never done it. LOL. I made the whip in August, 2008. I went back and pulled up the email just now and this is what he said:

"I use this on a dog sled, cracking on either side of the dogs to get them to turn."

He first wanted a 24ft, with a 33" handle, but that was longer than I was willing to go at the time. He ended up with 20ft and 18" handle. It takes a heck of an arm, but once you get the thing to going, it rolls on out like it's supposed to. He wrote back and said he loved it.

I realized I haven't posted any stockwhip pics. Here's one I did where the buyer wanted a little fancy work on the thong. So for this, I did the handle grip very plain so it wouldn't compete for the eye and take away from the work on the thong.

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r130/rhettswhips/stockwhipgreenblack.jpg

Very nice work and the colors really go together fine job. I am curious what do you use as a handle material?

Wow.

Every day a new surprise, Rhett. Every day...!

Robby

I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...

This is black fiberglass I got from goodwinds.com. I have used hardwood and toheti cane from Australia.

Wow Rhett! I think I have to order with you in a few month wink

Ralph

Mistakes are just decoration wink

I watched your vid on that cane. Your tests. The last line - when someone's shooting on you and you're concerned about your whip's handle - great, Rhett! I had problems not to fall off my chair, laughing! That made my day. Okay - my evening  smile

Robby

LOL. Glad to enjoyed it! I wasn't sure if people would get the humor or not. I should probably explain the way I am dressed: When it gets miserably hot here in the Summer, I dress for comfort to survive the heat, not for style! Summer time in souteastern Georgia is shear misery due to the humidity and lack of breeze! tongue

Rhett, I'm madly in love with some of these whips!!

Please, clue an amateur in - How do you plait one color on the handle and then switch to another for the thong? I really wish to try this!

~T.

54 (edited by Rhett Kelley 04.02.2014 19:37:26)

Terry, you're in luck as I once posted a quick tutorial on my blog about it. I sometimes do it in reverse too, meaning I plait the grip first and tie it off before plaiting the thong. Just make sure to wrap it hard with sinew and it will be fine. Here's the link.

You sir, are a gentleman, scholar, and a fine judge of whiskey!!

Thank you!

Heretofore, I have been posting photos of whips that I liked or I thought turned out pretty good. I am now happy to present you with what at this moment I believe is my magnum opus in whipmaking. I have been excited to unveil it for days now.

It's an 8ft woody bullwhip: Imperial Red, black and white on a piece of Indian Ebony. When I started this whip, I had a feeling if the colors were put on correctly, it could be a real show stopper. So I consulted with my wife on how to lay out the colors. This was her suggestion, and as for now, this is my most favorite whip I've ever made. I just love how it turned out.

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r130/rhettswhips/IMG_1437.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r130/rhettswhips/IMG_1438.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r130/rhettswhips/IMG_1439.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r130/rhettswhips/IMG_1440.jpg

Stunning!! Looks like a 16 plait 8 red, 4black, 4 white and a 2 seam plait to start, or if not that's how I'd try to recreate it. Absolutely awesome Rhett!

That is beautiful Rhett! Love the colors and to me the layout says "Target Whip". As if it's laying down a red path that says, "track this way".

Amazing, Rhett. Simply amazing! We should really work together on a video documentary on your work - a review! That one is indeed a unique design! Thank you for sharing the pics!

Robby

60 (edited by Sir Roger Tuson 05.02.2014 00:24:44)

What more can I say? What they ^^^^^^ all said!

Think for yourself, act for everyone.