Topic: Ohh yes..... There will be blood

I laid the back of my neck open good a proper this morning.....I'd post a picture if I could get a camera back there lol.... Wowwy that hurt.....

Re: Ohh yes..... There will be blood

For heavens sake - what did you do...?! Do you have any instructional videos to learn from? There are good videos out there. For example Daren Wilkerson and Restita DeJesus. Don't give up on whip cracking, now. But - please - wear eye protection and perhaps a wide brimmed hat!

Get well soon, okay?

Robby

I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...

Robby Amper wrote:

For heavens sake - what did you do...?! Do you have any instructional videos to learn from? There are good videos out there. For example Daren Wilkerson and Restita DeJesus. Don't give up on whip cracking, now. But - please - wear eye protection and perhaps a wide brimmed hat!

Get well soon, okay?

Robby

I also have felt the lash (of the whip and Robby's tongue wink  ). I can confirm that a wide brimmed hat is very useful in protecting your head. And yes Robby, I AM getting some eye protection! smile

Think for yourself, act for everyone.

Gooood idea...  wink

Robby

5 (edited by Fritz Ehlers 22.01.2014 15:56:15)

I've certainly had my fair share of short sharp reminders that I'm doing something wrong. smile That to me is like burning yourself while cooking in a way........ it's going to happen at some point.

Having said that, the same goes for hitting yourself in the eye while practicing. It's going to happen, .....trust me.
Question is; will you be wearing your glasses when it does?
I'm also guilty of not wearing glasses all the time, but one of my whips has knocked the lens right out of the frame on my safety glasses when I was practicing the Queensland Crossover last year. Nothing happened to me, I was unhurt, but that would have hit me directly in my right eye had I not been wearing them.

Since then I have two pairs of safety glasses in my whip-bag. They're pretty cheap to buy at any hardware or sports shop and definitely worth every penny.

My recommendation is to buy frameless safety glasses. The kind you get at sports equipment stores or hardware stores are little more protective than standard sunglasses, for exactly the reason you stated: The lenses can be knocked out. The type I have are rated for industrial safety standards and cannot fail in that manner.

I'm working on a link, but I don't have the exact brand identified yet. My friend is the one who gave them to me, so I'll contact him. They're not that expensive and made of polycarbonate; DEFINITELY worth the money.

Oh, I hope you are ok.  Make sure to put some salve on it and do get a friend to take a picture for you.  You'll want to preserve the memory of the war wound.  smile

I remember the wost thing I ever did to myself was somehow tagging my back from the shoulder to the opposite hip. ((I still don't know how.))  I wanted sympathy from my teacher and all he said was "The whip will always remind us when we do something wrong.  How big of a reminder is totally up to you."   Oh, how I hated to hear that but he was speaking the truth.

Scars are cool and educational, getting them is the bad part. Hope you're OK now.

I have caught a good hit with my eye protection once, so I guess they have paid for themselves already. I use CAT glasses meant for stopping light industrial grade mishaps, they seem like one step down from ballistic glasses. They also cost way less than an eye anyways.

Stay safe, everyone.

-Pokkis

I keep saying to my students that the whip does exactly what we tell it to do. Nothing more. Nothing less.

And eye protection... I won't mention it here anymore  wink

Robby

There's always a reason to mention eye protection, you only get two. Catch a piece of supersonic plastic with your eyeball and you will not see the next star trek movie in 3D. Eye patches are cool, but not that cool wink

Personally I'm a big fan of safety. I like potentially dangerous things that, as Robby said, do exactly as their operator tells them to do. Cars, motorbikes, firearms, sharp & pointy things, whips... Everything. It's just a statistical fact that when humans deal with those things, sooner or later something will go wrong and someone gets hurt. The last time I counted, my total score was 9 bone fractures and somewhere around 40 stitches. None of those from extreme sports, and only very few of them from young, drunken and stupid stuff that had "dangerous" written all over them. Accidents happen.

- Pokkis

I just realized that, when talking about eye protection, the winking smiley faces are not winking at all....  they are missing an eye!  lol!

Hahahaha, yes that's a whip-crackers smiley

when I talk to someone new at whips my frist line is..  you will hit your self wit the whip.. it happens, now it is up to you to see if you have glasses and at least some thick clothing to wear when yo udo it.. as I have been told and have seen.  A whip can cut Skin, a Whip can pick up a small rock and toss it like a sling. A whip is Breaking the sound barror when it cracks, your standing still that going to f hurt.  smile  now lets have some fun.

Hope you take good care of it adn do not let it get you down we all get hit at least once or 100 times or so to get better adn better at it keep trying adn getting better at Cracking it not hitting your self

When I first finished my seven foot bull whip I got the inside of my wrist once, really well, with the fall while trying to do a coachmen's crack.  Think rope burn.  Well once wasn't enough so I gave it another try and got the same results.  Yep, two scars on my wrist that have been there for about a year now.  LOL
One thing I always tell people who have asked me about getting into whip cracking is pretty simple and to the point.  "If you have a body part, sooner or later you are GOING to hit it with a whip."  I am pretty much living proof of that.

Joe W.

Joe, that sounds somewhat familiar. I still have a visible mark from my first whip and the first time I tried coachman's crack with it.

And that's true what you said. If you get a whip and start practicing with it, you will hit yourself sooner or later.

- Pokkis

16 (edited by Lasse Carenvall 26.08.2014 17:06:51)

Oh, yes. It is a matter of when and how often you will hit yourself, not "if". I remember the first time I tried the first whip I made. (In other words I knew pretty much nothing  tongue )

No crack, just a "fftthhp!" sound, after which the whip came recoiling back real fast, wrapped the fall around my head and struck me nice & clean smack in the middle of my forehead with the cracker. Ouch.

I´m still clearly better at making whips than using them, but I seldom hit myself anymore.

I need to find more space so I can practice more and I am sure suffer some more unwanted self whipping.  lol

Joe W.

When I tried cracking my first whip I made I put on my full faced motorcycle helmet and riding jacket lol...and I am going to do the same thing when I try 2 handed cracking for the first time!

Was at a Event this last weekend. and got asked to bring a few of my whips and let some people see it.. well one of the promoters of the event wanted to try the bull whip..  "I have been trained by someone adn I know how to use the whip"  well he the boss here you go have at it..  and of course his wife there with the camra.. the snap the while like he was throwing a baseball and came back adn cracked him over the shoulder and wrap it to the back..  now most people would have stoped about 5 lashes later he turns to me and say it must be broken I can not get it to snap.     Had a little lesson time and pointed a Lot of people here and to adam winriches vidios..  Hope they come and look but well let say the Wife had the time of her life watching.. 

Tree

How about pointing them to Whip Basics?
Or to my videos...?

Robby